Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Last year --> This year


At the beginning of this project I had knowledge of last year’s project and the idea that it was created to break stereotypes. But the challenge for our class was to find a way to be similar enough so that those on campus recognized it, but also to make the project our own. By no means was it easy to think of new ideas without resorting back to last year’s project, and at times I felt that my thoughts were limited to a certain boundaries. After a few class discussions I began to think in terms of stereotypes and what I would want out of this project if I had to give a statement similar to I am but not. Thinking not only of what I am not, but the idea came to me to think in terms of what I am also. My original intentions of this idea were to allow those participating to say here is what I am but that's not what defines me. By incorporating “also” where “not” once was, we began to think outside of what meets the eye and connect deeper to accepting that yes while we are blonde, southern, nerdy, preppy, ditzy, northern, black, white, etc… we also possess many other qualities that others may not think of.

At the time, this seemed like a completely different spin to last years project, but my thoughts still kept drifting back to I am but not. This became quite frustrating because this is a new semester, this is our class project, and we wanted to make it ours. Class discussions became more detailed and our plan started to take shape. After this plan was revised over and over, we decided on our visual plan and our strategies to make ourselves known all over campus. After planning the visual details, I became more confident in our project. We finally had something to call our own, and each of us took a responsibility to see that this was an original and well-planned project that others could benefit from. As we began to talk to others and spread the word of our project, it seemed that many were somewhat familiar about last year’s project but did not participate because it was either too late or they weren’t sure how to become involved.

My personal goal this year is to keep our campus up to speed on this project and make sure those who wish to participate have the opportunity. I want to see our campus understand, participate, experience, and benefit from this project. I believe that Clemson is the perfect place to conduct this project, after all this is a school located in a rural area with all types of people who have at least one thing in common….their love for Clemson. 

This project becomes more real to me when I hear of participants I am but also statements, it makes the effort we are putting in worth it and also teaches me to think differently about others and see that no matter what group, background, organization, etc. he or she identifies with we all possess uniqueness. My goal is to help others to have the same experience and see this as well. In doing so, we may start to see others in a different light and have an entirely different perspective of what we once thought. I believe this project will prepare us for what is to come after Clemson and help us to see that we won’t always be surrounded by people like us and in order be open to new experiences we must see past our surface and seek and accept what truly defines a certain person.


No comments:

Post a Comment