Sunday, March 11, 2012

Thoughts about Slogan

This project has made me think about myself
as a person, how I can best describe myself, and some of the challenges
that I face. When I first heard the slogan from last year, “I am but not,”
I did not really think deeply into it. I think the first slogan that I
thought of was “I am young but not lazy.” However, this was more aimed at a
stereotype of my generation and not very personal. After discussing the
slogan and the goals of the project with the class, I decided to think
about some of the challenges that I face regarding my ideals and identity.
The first thing that came to mind that I struggle with is my role as a
Christian. I have always tried my best to do what is right as a follower of
Christ. I go to church on Sundays usually and even attend a group meeting
occasionally. However, I still go out on the weekends sometimes to places
like the bars and to parties. I feel as if nothing is wrong with going out
and having fun as long as I don’t let this control my life. However, I have
had people call me a hypocrite sometimes because according to them I cannot
drink any alcohol whatsoever and go to a party if I am a Christian. I
sometimes may drink more than I should or make a few bad choices but I do
not feel that people should judge me for that. I may not be the best
Christian or always do what is right according to the Bible, but at least I
am trying and not using some bad choices as a reason to ignore my religion
altogether. After thinking about all of this, I have decided to write “I am
sometimes hypocritical, but also trying to change” on my shirt this year to
convey my message.

No comments:

Post a Comment