Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I am a student, but also a professional.


I am a student but also a professional.

I chose this as my identity statement as a result of certain experiences I have had in the past in internship and job settings. I have been placed in scenarios in the past in which it was my responsibility to meet with leaders in business communities or with press figures that have been entrenched in their field for years. As a student it was easy to feel like I was the odd man out. There is definitely a perception of slight inferiority from others upon realizing they are dealing with a student intern. Sometimes it cause a positive experience with the “professional” patronizing or helping a student through the process, but there is still a sense of not being on a level playing field.

After working in a field for over two years and learning the ins and outs of it, I feel as if I’ve earned my stripes and consider myself a professional within it. It is an interesting phenomenon thought that I’ve noticed how professional figures take me more seriously if they don’t realize I’m a current student. If a certain performance level is there, I do not see the difference it makes whether I’m working as a student or a full time position.

So for my identity statement, it was important for me to point this out. If a student is effective at what they do, why should it matter that they are also in school?

No comments:

Post a Comment